Saturday, October 3, 2009

Music to my ears

Jaden has never been the biggest fan of school. She likes to go and socialize and hang out with all her friends, but that's pretty much it. Usually when I ask her to tell me something good about the day she will list P.E., recess, sometimes even lunch, or ESD. If you ask her what the worst part is it would be work...she's not a big fan of work in school and especially of homework. Last year along with her other homework, she had to read 100 minutes a week. If you break it down over the course of the week, it really isn't that bad. To Jaden, however, it seemed like torture. Every couple of minutes it was "how much longer until my time is up?" She hated reading and looked at me like I was crazy anytime she saw me reading in my spare time...which wasn't often because if I have spare time, she thinks that should be Jaden time!!! This year she has to read 15 minutes 5 nights a week, so not quite as much as last year. We didn't get any reading done last night...not really sure why, it just didn't work out, so Jaden was reading tonight. She always tells me what time she started, so I can keep track and let her know when she can stop. Tonight when I told her that her 15 minutes were up she said "Can I keep reading, I LOVE these Judy Moody books." She got this book Thurs. from the library and is still reading it...she has decided to finish it tonight. Something has finally clicked, and she has found a book that she can't put down!!! Earlier this evening when I had her take a break so we could watch a movie together, she told me she was going to try saving her money so she could buy some of these books for herself. I am in a state of shock but so totally happy that my little girl has finally found a love of reading!!!


Please excuse the hair...it has been in a ponytail for soccer all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment